Monkeying Around

(Describe)

My artwork portrays two monkeys, having a wonderful time, with one swinging from a branch, and the other waving. The title I chose is “Monkeying Around “ and it emphasizes not only the playful nature of the monkeys but also highlights the joy and positivity you aim to bring to the children with cancer who will enjoy your artwork. It conveys a sense of adventure and happiness in a way that is both engaging and uplifting. 

(How did you create your artwork) 

This piece gained inspiration from a book that had numerous children’s drawings, and the book gave a tutorial on how to make them. I chose the monkey as when I broke it down, it seemed easy to draw, as it was predominantly circles and two colors. This was made in Adobe Illustrator, and to make the actual shape of the monkey, I used the shape tool and used a lot of circles to construct this monkey. The background was quite simple and consisted of two colors, one being green for the grass, and the other being blue for the sky. Going through this process, I was going by the saying, “Less is more”, as simple can look much better.

(What was the big idea) 

The main idea behind this piece is to keep things simple and cheerful. I used basic shapes and bright colors which created a joyful scene that brings joy to whoever has this card, or even someone who glances at it. By making my artwork simple, I attend the piece to be easy to connect. In addition to that, I chose to use the uplift message of “ Be Silly” in hopes of brightening the kid who is receiving this card. I intend to make this a card that kids may laugh at, or at least find joy from as the art portrays two monkeys, who both have eyepatches.  Combined with cheerful monkeys, vibrant colors, and an uplifting message, this artwork serves as a beacon of cheerfulness, positivity, and inspiring joy in others.  

(Goals)

My goals for this project were quite simple. I wanted to display an image that kids could laugh at, and find joy from. These kids are going through indescribable things that no kid should ever have to experience, and yet they’re so strong and brave. Through my artwork, I wanted to give these kids a break from their challenges, and a chance to laugh and enjoy the playful monkeys. I believe that even in tough times, moments of joy can be really powerful, helping them stay strong and hopeful.   

(Overall thoughts) 

Overall, I really enjoyed doing this project. I believe that this is one of the better projects we have done, as it is going to be a great cause. Throughout the project, I found joy in making this, as I imagined the kid who receives this card with a big smile on their face. This was my first time using illustrator, so I also enjoyed this as I worked on a program that is new to me, and from this project, I was able to grasp the basics of illustrator, which will help me for the foreseeable future.